Guiding Service


Fly fishing for trout on Southeast Minnesota's Root and Whitewater river systems. I have over 40 years experience fly fishing and over 25 years guiding both beginning and advanced fly fishermen.

Both the Root and Whitewater rivers flow through SE Minnesota's driftless area. We fish for brook, brown or rainbow trout and have a fantastic variety of streams and rivers to choose from in those systems. The typical day depends on your skill level and goals. If you are a beginner, we can review your casting, discuss the set-up and how to approach the river. If you are more advanced, the day is yours and depending on the season, we will discuss what hatches to look for and plan accordingly. If you have your own rod & reel you are free to bring them along or I can supply the equipment using Sage Rods & Reels spooled with Rio Fly Line. My primary goal is for you to enjoy your day and time on the water.

If you are visiting the Twin Cities or the Rochester area, I have Simms Waders and Boots available for rental for an additional $50.00 per day. I am using new model Headwaters Gortex waders and Vapor Boots. E-mail me at Bob7336@gmail.com or call 952-797-2600.



Monday, March 15, 2010

Oregon Steelhead Trip



On March 6th - 10th I took a trip to Portland, OR to explore some west coast steelhead rivers. This was my first trip to the area and my plans are to make it an annual event.

On the 7th and 8th I went to the coastal rivers; Wilson, Trask, Kilchis, North Fork of the Nehalem, and the main branch of the Nehalem. On the 9th I tried different access points on the Sandy River.

The fishing was not great, but I did catch a 30" male, Sunday the 7th on the Wilson River on a stonefly nymph while indicator fishing. After that I tried both swinging flys on the spey rod and more indicator fishing with no success. The scenery is fantastic and the rivers beautiful, worth the trip alone. However, my Skagit spey casting needs a lot of work. This will be a on-going process that I can practice this summer.

While on the coastal rivers I visited Tillamook Sporting goods in Tillamook, OR. http://www.tillamooksportinggoods.com/ I picked up a couple of local fly patterns and chatted with the one of the shop owners who gave me a great local chat site for future information. Always fun to get to talk to the people who know what they are doing.
On Tuesday I shifted my efforts to The Sandy River. I did not catch anything there but saw some fish caught by a party bobber fishing with a guide from a drift boat. After hitting Oxbow Park I took a drive and fished around the old Marmot Dam area and finished the day at Dodge Park. While at Dodge Park and totally frustrated with my Skagit Casting I was given some pointers by Lonn Sweeney. He couldn't have come along at a better time as I was close to throwing the spey in a garbage can. Thanks Lonn! I hope to hook up with him the next time I'm in town.

My last morning the 10th, I tried a tail out near Dodge Park early in the morning. I saw several fish boil near some rocks but no strikes. I then visited The Fly Fishing Shop in Welches. http://www.flyfishusa.com/ I have bought several rods, fly line, assorted gear and many flies from them, so I wanted to check them out. Upon arriving I was greeted by one of the owners Mark Bachmann who set me straight on spey rods and recommended that my primary rod should be a Sage 8134-4 Z-AXIS. What he said made sense, so that rod along with one 7110-4 and a 8110-4 Z-AXIS Switch Rod, should set me up for future trips.
Anyone who has questions about west coast fly fishing for steelhead should give this fly shop a call. In my opinion they are the best. From gear, to the flies that work, to guiding on the Sandy River, they are the ones to go to.

So in a nutshell, I learned a lot, drove a lot, fished a little and will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment